Sunday, June 17, 2012

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!


In honor of my dad Alejandro Lim ~  on Father's Day ~ I am wearing one of his numerous shirts I ambushed from his closet, because I recall how happy he was that I found his 1970s disco fab shirt & pimpin' fierce boots to match my fashion sensibilities. More importantly, despite our 40+ year age gap, slight language barrier (he being very Chinese and myself growing up bi-culturally Filipino/Chinese), and being on the opposite ends of the Kinsey scale, his burgundy & brown geometrically lined polyester shirt and camel leather custom made boots bridged a gap and made us feel closer to each other. 

The Chinese-Filipino / Filipino-Chinese generations leading up to mine may not have equated fathers as the warm-and-fuzzy icon of a Hallmark card. But I recall moments of tenderness, and more importantly communication without pressures of expectation or judgment. I recall his hearty laughter when I used to mimic mom's chain smoking dragon lady mah-jong gal pal as she'd hurl Chinese expletives at out our barking dog in between puffs of Philip Morris. I recall his concern and wish that I have a child at some point in my life. 

However far I've landed from his hopes and dreams of his son, I hope to pave a road of success that he can share. I may have seen glimpses of his smile  which I take as a sign of approbation ~ something not easily attainable by any means. And somehow wearing his wardrobe of yesteryears - which retains a fashion forward edge - seems highly appropriate and fitting. Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment